This month, I decided to join a sew-along. I thought it would be a good way to stretch my new skills. Over at Seamstress Erin‘s, a bow blouse challenge is taking place and I gave a try. I chose a reproduction 60′s pattern from Simplicity. The only other pattern I had ever tried from that pattern company was the disastrous sheet dress I made as my first garment project. It all went surprisingly well this time. I chose to go a size up from the usual– 6 to 8–in order to get a looser fit. Cutting and pinning took an absurd amount of time, as usual, but sewing it was a piece of cake. It took the better part of an afternoon. And to be fair, it only took that long because Bright Star and Jane Eyre both happened to be on TV while I was sewing.
Simplicity 2154: Secretary Blouse
- Size: 8
- Fabric: Flower print light cotton(?) with metallic detail
- Lining: No, this project used facings.
- Notions: Tiny black rosebud for neck detail, grey zipper
- Adjustments: None.
- Would I recommend it to other sewers: Absolutely. It was super easy to put together. I’m planning on making another one in a lighter fabric.
- Techniques used/learned: rectangular facings, attaching a collar, invisible zipper.