The reason I started this blog in the first place

In my first post, I wrote about how my goal was to build a skill set that would make it possible for me to tackle a project like B5832. That was a little over a year ago. This year for Halloween, I managed to finish that Butterick pattern! It took me about a week. It would have taken longer, but I left some design elements out for reasons I’ll explain later.

The project was fun and I’m definitely hooked on period costuming. I  have decided that next year I’ll make a robe a la francaise and go as Marie Antoinette for Halloween. I realize now I need to make friends that are also into this hobby because I will have nowhere to wear these things. They will just be sitting in my closet gathering up dust 🙁

B5832

Process:

I left out the piping because the piping cord I ordered was too thick, and I left out the tabs on the shoulders because 1) I think they are a weird design touch, and 2) I couldn’t understand the instructions. Ha.

b5

The pleating details ended up being pretty easy to work with. It was all about careful ironing. sewing it in place was admittedly tricky.

b8 b10

The skirt was the most ridiculous aspect of this project. It took forever to ruche the top and pull the threads through. And they kept breaking! Never again.

b9

Detail of the ruching follows. Yes, I had to that by hand for the entire length of the skirt.

b6 b4 b2 b1 b3

For the Night is Dark and Full of (T)errors

I am proud to say that I went all out for Halloween this year. After more than a year of planning and postponing and sewing on and off, I finally finished my Melisandre costume. I have to say, I went through a lot of drama along the way. The sheer number of hurdles that this project presented should have put me off of costume making, but now that the finished product is in front of me I’m determined to make a costume every year. I posted earlier that my goal for next year is to be skilled enough to make a civil war era dress. I feel a lot more confident about that goal now!

image (2)

image

You might notice there is some bunching where the bodice and skirt meet in the front. One of the many issues that plagued me as I was making this costume.

Continue reading

Here, we like to sew and eat pie.

     A year before I decided to launch this little project, I didn’t have much experience with recipe making or needle work. I knew the bare basics because my mother took care to teach me a little of everything.

     It wasn’t until recently that I decided to really immerse myself in all things fiber and baking related. I am especially obsessed with using vintage techniques. There’s something very methodical and calming about doing things the old fashioned way. It really sparked an interest in seeing what else I could learn. I picked up knitting needles and sewing needles and expanded on the basics that my mother taught me. I’m stumbling along trying to teach myself these skills, but since I’m a teacher I thought it would be useful to share my ups and downs with people who are trying to learn the same things.

     Recently, I taught myself the basics of dressmaking and crocheting and I hope that in the next year I’ll be able to tackle more complicated projects.

This is an example of the type of project I would like to tackle in the future. It's Butterick 5832. I own this pattern and look longingly at the instructions every once in a while. Maybe next year you'll see me in a handmade Civil War costume!

This is an example of the type of project I would like to tackle in the future. It’s Butterick 5832. I own this pattern and look longingly at the instructions every once in a while. Maybe next year you’ll see me in a handmade Civil War costume!

     Now that I am a little more familiar with the intricacies of my new hobbies, it has become easier (and more important) for me to tackle my many domestic projects thoughtfully. This blog is a way to document my journey and share what I learn along the way!