In my first post, I wrote about how my goal was to build a skill set that would make it possible for me to tackle a project like B5832. That was a little over a year ago. This year for Halloween, I managed to finish that Butterick pattern! It took me about a week. It would have taken longer, but I left some design elements out for reasons I’ll explain later.
The project was fun and I’m definitely hooked on period costuming. I have decided that next year I’ll make a robe a la francaise and go as Marie Antoinette for Halloween. I realize now I need to make friends that are also into this hobby because I will have nowhere to wear these things. They will just be sitting in my closet gathering up dust 🙁
I left out the piping because the piping cord I ordered was too thick, and I left out the tabs on the shoulders because 1) I think they are a weird design touch, and 2) I couldn’t understand the instructions. Ha.
The pleating details ended up being pretty easy to work with. It was all about careful ironing. sewing it in place was admittedly tricky.
The skirt was the most ridiculous aspect of this project. It took forever to ruche the top and pull the threads through. And they kept breaking! Never again.
Detail of the ruching follows. Yes, I had to that by hand for the entire length of the skirt.